accents

Last year during the Halloween contest I remember a very interesting instance. Students were lined up in their costumes awaiting being announced, but there was one kid didn’t seem to have a costume on. When it was finally his turn to say what he was, he began talking in an Indian accent. The whole crowd laughed really hard and seemed to really enjoy his costume. He ended up being one of the winners.

The kid’s costume had caused some discussion around school. I had heard many people who didn’t think what he did was wrong, and praised him for how genius his idea was. But I also heard many people who thought what he did was stupid and racist. The clashing opinions caused arguments among my peers, to which one person in an argument asked me what I thought because I’m Indian.

I am staunchly against fake Indian accents in general. Personally, I do not find any humor in mimicking the way that someone talks. Doing an Indian accent for laughs is synonymous to mocking the people who actually speak that way, people who have learned English in addition to their own language. Indian people with accents do not deserve to be seen as funny simply because they speak differently from what is viewed as the ‘norm’.

But it’s interesting that mocking Indian accents is so prevalent in society, most notably in media. Some ‘humorous’ Indian accents I can recall are in Disney: Ravi from Jessie and Baljeet from Phineas and Ferb. Ravi and Baljeet are both seemingly normal characters (actually not entirely because they both follow the ‘smart asian’ stereotype but that’s another issue), other than their accents. Their accents are used as nothing more than a device to entertain the audience. In fact, the kid that plays Ravi in real life and the man that voices Baljeet have no accent at all. It’s crazy that Disney chooses to perpetuate the stereotype that Indian accents are funny to a young audience.

But the problem is not just with mocking Indian accents but rather mocking any non-european accent. When we hear a British or French accent, we think it is beautiful and elegant, while when we hear a Chinese or Nigerian accent, we think it is funny and unintelligent. The reason for this is the problem of racism that is so deeply ingrained to our society. It is most definitely racism that causes us to view the accents of white people more fondly in contrast to the accents of people of color.

I hope people realize the implications of making fun of accents and change how they view them in the future. But as of now, I don’t really see that happening, considering the amount of support and laughs that the kid had received during the contest.

Comments

  1. I agree with all the points you made, and they were all well put. Another thing I find super aggravating is that the people that voice Indian characters in cartoons are almost always white people. SMH

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good point and I definitely agree. Many non European accents are mocked and considered to make people sound uneducated or make people into a joke and something less human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also particularly with Baljeet from Phineas and Ferb, the accent adds nothing to his character except for a way to make him the butt of jokes.

      Delete
    2. This post is very well phrased and coherent, I like the way it articulates the problems with society's perspective on accents and provides examples. I agree with your points entirely, and especially with the European accents being "more intelligent" than Asian and African accents, that is a stereotype that I have seen everywhere on TV. In Ukrainian comedy shows they perpetuate that stereotype and it's terribly insensitive. As a kid watching Phineas and Ferb, I often wondered what they point of Baljeet's accent was and then I found out that the actor doesn't even have that accent so I was baffled but now understand that it's for the "humor". Great post!

      Delete
  3. I can completely relate to your comment about how non-European accents are seen as "less intelligent." My mom still has a strong Iranian accent after moving to the US thirty years ago, and so she often asks me to listen to her pronunciation if she has to make a speech because she's afraid of sounding "dumb" in front of her coworkers. TV shows like Phineas and Ferb are more problematic than we acknowledge because it perpetuates these stereotypes and normalizes them from a early age. I wonder if Baljeet was the main character whether he would still have a mocking accent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment