my good friend Grace Qiu

It is crazy to think that this is my last year of Uni. Just two weeks ago, we had to turn in things for the yearbook for the senior section. We had to give our senior photo, baby picture, nickname, and quotes. I have been keeping quotes ever since Subbie year; it’s something I enjoy doing because I can look back and remember good memories. I have quotes from many people, but there is one person in particular that I created a whole separate notes page for: Grace Qiu.

Grace became my friend subbie year. I actually met her once before Uni at a camp called GEMS, where I overheard her talking to some people that she was going to Uni, so I decided to talk to her about how I was also going. I met her again the first day of school when we both had the same subbie buddy! Coincidence? I think not. We also sat next to each other for the subbie picture so our friendship is ingrained forever. I can’t recall exactly how we became friends, but from what I remember it happened pretty quickly. I didn’t know it when I met her, but I would learn that Grace would be one of the most interesting people I would ever met.

Grace says things that either make you confused, roll your eyes, tell her to shut up, or die of laughter. My quote page dedicated to her, which is almost as long as all the other quotes I have taken of other people combined, reflects this. Here are some of my favorite quote occurrences:

  • It was an average day of lunch freshman year when everyone was sitting around the chairs next to the library, and out of nowhere Grace expresses an enigma that I still contemplate: “How do bald people wash their face, like where do they stop?”
  • Grace and I were having some conversation about about her sister, but she tells me that they divorced.
  • Sophomore year we meet Yamini in the hallway, Kathryn asks her how it feels to have a twin, Grace asks Yamini “Does he drink more milk thank you?”
  • I don’t even know the context of this: “When I was younger I used to slide on the ground to rip my jeans”
  • “Fun fact I have owned the movie Hugo on my phone since eighth grade but I haven’t watched it because I’m saving it for one day when I’m stranded on an island”
  • And last but not least, Grace and I were sitting in the library, about to go when she asks me “Who would win Bambi or Godzilla?” to which I reply “Godzilla” and she says “In a DEER contest?” She really threw me off there.

As the years have gone by I have stopped getting as many Grace Qiu quotes. Maybe it is because I am now used to what she says, or maybe it’s because she has stopped saying as weird things. But even if this is the case, she never fails to give me confused, roll my eyes, tell her to shut up, and laugh a lot. Stay weird Grace.

Comments

  1. It is crazy to think of how much time we've spent with the people in our class and how much we all changed over the years. I remember subbie year when it felt like all this is unimaginably far away, and now the 4 years felt like they went by in a flash. Looking at my senior quotes bring up good memories that I would have otherwise forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 Aw this post made me laugh remembering all the great memories since subbie year. I remember thinking you were kind of weird for overhearing me telling my camp friends I was going to Uni, but I'm glad that you told me you were going to Uni too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's impressive, Grace definitely knows what to say to make people laugh or just to be odd. Her Instagram comments are a perfect reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's weird reading this post because "Uni Grace" is so much different from "elementary school Grace". We weren't friends, but she would destroy me in chess every week in 2nd grade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sweet. It's nice to reflect on relationships with friends over time. I agree that Grace is definitely a funny and interesting person. She says things that make me wonder how on earth she thought of that. I think this post is nicely written and shows a great friendship.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment