happy thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I am very excited! Having a 5 day weekend feels like a dream right now, a good time to relax but also make some progress on work. The main thing I look forward to though is my family.

Every year, my sister gets a weekend off from work and comes home. Just like any time we are together we have a lot of fun. I know she is going to constantly bother me to share my college essays with her when I haven’t finished them, but other than that it’s really nice to have the whole family together. My dad also has been out of town for the last month so I am excited for him to come back as well.

Other than the family getting back together, what we do over Thanksgiving is why I am excited. At 7 every year, we invite our close family friends over and have dinner. We don’t have the traditional Thanksgiving dinner but rather Indian food. One of my unpopular opinions is that I personally don’t like Thanksgiving food much: turkey is dry to me, I am not a fan of mashed potatoes, and green beans gross me out. The only Thanksgiving food I like is mac and cheese, which I make for our Thanksgiving dinner. I also bake apple crisp, which we eat for dinner with ice cream. After dinner we split into teams and play games like Taboo and Pictionary. It always gets competitive but it is a ton of fun. Last year I almost peed my pants laughing at something my mom said, but I think that was because of everything I ate. Finally, we go shopping. Personally my family does not like Black Friday shopping; I don’t think the deals are any different from normal and everything is overhyped. We go to stores to walk around and get rid of the heavy feeling of dinner rather than going to actually buy things. But if I find something I like I buy it.

This year we changed our Thanksgiving plans because of one of my friends. Because she can’t make Thursday we are having dinner on Wednesday, which we named “Wednesgiving”. We are also having dinner again Thursday though, which is when we will go shopping. I can’t wait!

Comments

  1. My family is not huge on Thanksgiving dinner either. We rarely have Thanksgiving foods and truthfully, I don't even like Thanksgiving food. Mashed potatoes are overrated like I would rather have fries. The only Thanksgiving food I like is pie. Unsurprisingly, my favorite part about Thanksgiving is going shopping with my friends and family after dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of my extended family doesn't live in the U.S. so we usually don't have the big classic Thanksgiving dinner either. On some Thanksgivings, instead of turkey we have duck because it's smaller and tastes better. Black Friday isn't really something we take part in but occasionally we buy things on Cyber Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story about playing board games after dinner. I can completely relate because last year I laughed so hard at a joke she said that I almost broke our glass coffee table. I definitely agree with you that Thanksgiving food is overrated except for stuffing which I can literally eat by the handfull.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a nice post. It's so cool how everyone's family has different thanksgiving traditions. I agree with you about turkey being dry and somewhat gross but I also agree with Omeed that stuffing is extremely delicious. My personal tradition is always making carrot pie for my family thanksgiving dinner, which sounds really weird but is actually really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very heart-warming. I'm glad that you get to see your family and spend time with them, especially those who you don't see often. Besides seeing my little cousins, because I see my family somewhat frequently, the food is my favorite part. We don't do the traditional thanksgiving dinner; we switch it up. However there are foods that I like to have like green bean casserole. That's only one though. Glad your happy for thanksgiving though! I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also think that Thanksgiving food is pretty overrated. Especially turkey, which is among the worst meats. It's cool that you get to spend time with family and friends though and it shows what the holiday is really about. Nice Post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment